" For many non-academics, academic writing is not just bullshit but bullshit of the worst kind." (Eubanks p.381)
When reading the text, "A Kind Word for Bullshit," I couldn't relate to much of what the authors were saying. I could barely even understand what they were trying to say, until I came to this quote. I believe myself to not be a specialist of any kind in academic studies. I'm not majoring in any science fields and I do not plan to be a doctor one day. Although there are many other fields that use academic discourse, I still don't feel like I specialize in any of them. Therefore, I consider myself a non-academic, as referred to in the text.
As a non-academic, when reading a case study or an important document, I always think of ways they could have said what they were talking about in easier ways. These ways would be more straight forward and without all the "bullshit" added in. Even in the text, there were parts where they discuss how the writers of academic discourse use jargon that the average reader will most likely not understand or feel like the aren't smart enough to understand. I have read things like that where I feel like I shut down because I don't know what the material is trying to tell me.
"A Kind Word for Bullshit" did in the end take a better stance to bullshit than in the book "On Bullshit," but to me... it was all just a bunch of bullshit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To Claire,
ReplyDeleteI read you comments reagarding "A Kind Word for Bullshit:The Problem of Academic Writing". I agree with your views. I am also a non-academic not majoring in a science field but in social work. On page 373, The author notes that
"Barry is just as dead-on in his parody of sociologist, who "spend most of their
time translating simple, obvious observations in scientific-sounding code". I plan to minor in Sociology, but I also agree with your shut down comment. I hope I will not shut down, for I fear that I might. I will need to learn this style of academic writing.
I enjoyed reading your Blog!
Henriette Johnson
Claire,
ReplyDeleteI don't think anyone could have said it or explained it any better. I was son confused and irritated at the beginning because I had to keep reading paragraphs over and over again. Iwas like "what the hell is this "bullshit." But fortunately I got through the text and understood it. It took a couple of times to understand it, but I did it.
I to think its important for certain pieces of writing to be simplied so that common individual can understand what is being said.
Great Post! I thought I was the only one that thought the reading was "bullshit" in itself.lol.
Kenneth Blacks
MW 3:30-4:45 Class