Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Inventing the University

After reading through this essay for the second time, I came to realize, I didn't understand ANY of it before. Reading it again slower and more focused I am now starting to put the pieces together. I am not a good speller nor good at finding out what words really mean. I realized how many words can mean multiple things. THe word that I think I am now understanding is "Commonplace." I know that after reviewing the term in class and now reading it over and over in the text I finally see that I was wrong in my first definition of it.

I now can see that when referring to commonplace, the author is referring to an already reviewed topic. I realized that it isnt about two people coming to an agreement or reaching a peaceful state of mind. I now know that this commonplace is a thought that isn't original. If I were to say, I think the sky is blue... that would be one of the most unoriginal statements I can make. Since the thought is mine but wasn't mine first, it is a commonplace. That is what I understand it to be. I am still learning about it and may still be confused but I think from my previous definitions, I am coming along to understanding the idea.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with Claire. The first time I read it, I sort of zoomed through it. The second time I took my time and looked up what a commonplace is to others. I was a little confused with what it was myself. After reading it a second time, it started to make more sense. I think Claire's example of the sky being blue is perfectly fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. The first time I read it i was totally confused. I thought "commonplace" a place where the reader and the author see eye to eye. I now (by rereading the article and talking in class) understand that it is a place where the author just settled for being common and didn't push themselves to do any better.

    ReplyDelete